Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Transgender Bullying

There was a saying I learned in undergraduate school and that is: "For every ten people who love you, three will hate you."

While I do not know who specifically coined that phrase or if it is even statistically accurate, it does has some hint of truth behind it.

I am a big advocate for educating people about transgender people. I am also a big advocate for treating every member of the transgender umbrella (Crossdressers, Transsexual, GenderQueer, BiGender, GenderBlender, etc etc) with the same equal respect as every other human being on the face of this earth. The only group of people that I have very little respect for is the Conservative Christian Church, but this is a fault of my own and I am currently working towards reconciliation with them.

Because I promote such a presence of equal standards among all of our brothers and sisters in the transgender arena, I am sometimes hated for it.Thank God I can only count one who really has it in for me (besides the stalker I once had....but that is for another blog entry!) but sometimes just one can be loud enough.


Today I have been a subject of a character assassination. There is a blog floating in the cyber stratosphere that a transgender woman wrote about me that is anything but pleasant. With that said, I will not provide you all with her link. The reason is being three fold: 1. She does not deserve the traffic to her blog site because it only promotes hatred. Every single one of her blogs is about hating someone or some website that are actually LGBT allies or LGBT themselves 2. I wont stoop to her level of immaturity and 3. I firmly believe she has the mental capacity of literally hurting someone; namely me.

Which brings me to my second point: do not believe everything you hear floating around in cyber space. I always have a saying: get two sides of a story before forming your opinion. Not only is it the civil thing to do but you will garnish respect for actually not choosing a side so blindly. Now of course, you can say that of me by the sheer principle that I brought her blog up but I did not give you all her name because she is not here to defend herself.

Transgender bullying is not only an issue among those who hate anything not considered "heterosexual"  but it is also an issue among our own. Other transgender may not see eye to eye and then resort to bullying. Some will be jealous and then resort to bullying or others do it just to get attention.

If you are transgender, do that right thing. Practice respect. No matter how different one transgender may seem to you, always practice respect. We need to hold each other up and comfort one another during our struggles because we all know being transgender is not as easy as a walk in the park. The last thing we need to do is attack each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment